Wichita State (6-1) v Oral Roberts (2-4)
Wednesday, December 1, 2021 | 6:00 PM CST | Charles Koch Arena
ESPN + | GoShockers.com/Play | ShockerStats.com
WHITE – Wear WHITE to the game.
Children’s day – All children 12 and under receive FREE entry to the game.
WICHITA, Kansas – Wichita State claimed their fourth straight victory over Oral Roberts on Wednesday night at the Charles Koch Arena. A win will take them to 7-1, the best start in school history in eight games.
ON THE AIR
Wednesday’s game can be streamed online at GoShockers.com/Listen or through the GoShockers mobile app with Steve Strain calling for action. Strain is in her eighth season as a radio voice for Wichita State Women’s Basketball. The game will also be televised on ESPN + and the ESPN app.
Wichita State won its third straight game in a 70-61 victory over Northwestern State on Monday night. For the first time this season, the Shockers shot a better away percentage, setting a season-high with three points (9) and three-point percentage (42.9). On the flip side, Wichita State shot just 33.8% overall, a season low. Wichita State dominated the glass, topping the Lady Demons by 18. DJ McCarty scored his 16 points after halftime, including a career-high five to 3 points. Trajata Colbert narrowly missed a double-double with 14 points and nine boards and Carla Bremaud scored 12 points, a season high. Jane asinde recorded his third consecutive double-double with 10 points and 12 rebounds – all but one rebound before halftime. Seraphine Bastin again flirted with a triple double, totaling eight points, eight rebounds and eight assists.
SCOUTING THE GOLDEN EAGLES
Oral Roberts is 2-4 to open the 2021-22 campaign after back-to-back wins over Arkansas State and Little Rock. The Golden Eagles had lost their first four games of the season. Keni Jo Lippe averages 10.7 points, a team high, with 3.5 rebounds. Tirzah Moore is just behind with 10.3 points and 4.2 rebounds. Hannah Cooper leads Oral Roberts in assists and steals with 9.2 points. The Golden Eagles rank in the domestic top 100 for blocked shots, free throws and free throw attempts. Oral Roberts struggled to force turnovers and create interceptions early in the season, ranking near the NCAA bottom in both of those categories.
THE SERIES AGAINST. ORAL ROBERTS
Wichita State and Oral Roberts have met 21 times (ORU leads 12-9) dating back to December 3, 1977. The two programs are familiar enemies but haven’t met regularly since the early 2000s. Wednesday’s game will be the end of the game. 12th meeting in Wichita. Wichita State is doing better at home against the Golden Eagles than on the road. The last time the two programs met in Wichita was on March 16, 2012.
Wichita State and Oral Roberts met in Tulsa just over two years ago on November 11, 2019. A solid second quarter took the Golden Eagles to a 79-66 victory. DJ McCarty had his first breakout game as a true rookie, scoring a record 17 points off the bench. Carla Bremaud added 15 and Jaïda Hampton contributed 11. Wichita State struggled to contain Oral Roberts’ outside shot as the Golden Eagles broke through 13 three-pointers. Another difference in play came at the free throw line where ORU finished 16 of 17 against just 1 in 5 for Wichita State.
Wichita State is having its best start in seven games since 1998-99, when that team also started the season 6-1. Only two other times in program history has a Wichita State team won six of its first seven games, joining the Shockers in 1986-87 and 1980-81. With a win over Oral Roberts, Wichita State would be 7-1 in its first eight games. No team in the history of the school has accomplished this feat.
BIG GAME JANE
Since its inclusion in the surprising lineup against Prairie View A&M on November 23, Jane asinde has been a nightmare for opposing teams. She recorded her first career double-double with a team record of 17 points and 11 rebounds, while also distributing two assists against PVAMU. She now has doubles-doubles in three straight games after dropping 14 points and 11 rebounds to Alcorn State and 10 points and 12 rebounds to Northwestern State. Eight of his season-high 12 rebounds against Northwestern State came on the offensive end, becoming the first Shocker since Rangie Bessard on March 11, 2017 to register eight offensive rebounds in a game. In the last three games, Asinde is averaging 13.7 points, 11.3 rebounds and shooting 53.8 percent from the field. His three double doubles this season are 22nd nationally and second at the American.
Wichita State is ranked in the top 75 nationally in 12 categories after the first seven games. The Shockers rank 8th in rebounds per game (46.7), 11th overall rebounds (327), 12th in offensive rebounds (16.9), 16th in rebounds (13.0), 22nd to free throws. fact (104), No. 28 in win-loss PCT. (85.7), No.29 in free throw attempts (142), No.55 in field goal defense (34.7), No.61 in assists (99), No.65 in goal margin ( 14.4), No.73 in interceptions (62) and No.75 in the scoring offense (73.1).
COOKING AT HOME
Wichita State is 4-0 at home so far in 2021-22. The Shockers beat their opponents by 27.3 points on average and keep them at 28.4 percent on shots. Wichita State hits enemies on the glass, passing them by 17.8 per game. Wichita State is one of the best rebounding teams in the country to start the season, and it shows in the home rebound. The Shockers average 52.3 rebounds in home games, compared to just 34.5 for their opponents.
DYNAMIC POINT GUARD
• Wichita state leader Seraphine Bastin had his best season in a Shocker uniform in 2020-21. Bastin averaged 10.2 points, 7.7 rebounds, 5.1 assists and 1.3 steals a game, while shooting 78.7 percent from the free throw line. The 5-foot-8 goaltender led the team in rebounds, assists, steals and double-doubles. In The American, Bastin ranked second for free throw percentage, third for assists, fourth for rebounds and fifth for assists ratio.
• She has another strong start on glass in 2021-22. Her 7.6 rebounds rank second on the team and she has already played three games with 10 boards. In all but one game she has taken five or more rebounds. His season minimum is four.
• Bastin entered Wichita State’s Top 10 list for career assists on Nov. 26 against Alcorn State. She passed Allison Daniel who held 10th place with 308 dimes in her career. Bastin is already in the top 10 for career assists per game at 3.8. Its 3.8 assistants rank ninth in school history.
• The native of Dinant, Belgium has a bulldog mentality and it is evident in her rebound. Bastin led Wichita State and placed sixth in the American Athletic Conference in rebounds at 7.7 per game and 131 total rebounds in 2020-21. His 131 rebounds were 15 more than the next closest Shocker, which was Trajata Colbert with 116. Bastin has been one of the best rebounders on the program since joining in 2018. She has 482 career rebounds, by far the team’s active leader. She averages 4.6 or more rebounds each season, including her career-high 7.7 in 2020-21.
• With another season of eligibility remaining after the 2021-22 season, Bastin could find himself among the greats of Shocker. She is about to end her career with over 1,000 points, 600 rebounds, 400 assists and 150 steals. Only one player in the history of Wichita State has accomplished this feat: Alex Harden. Right now, Bastin has 687 career points, 482 rebounds, 321 assists and 113 steals.
THE EIGHTH SELECTED SHOCKERS IN THE PRE-SEASON SURVEY
Wichita State was selected to finish eighth in the American Athletic Conference preseason coaching poll. The Shockers collected 36 points from league coaches, just two points behind seventh place East Carolina. The defending champions South Florida were chosen to repeat after receiving 10 first place votes and 100 points. UCF (91), Houston (77), Tulane (72) and Temple (69) round out the top five.
FORT TERRES ON THE PRE-SEASON FIRST TEAM
Wichita State senior forward Strong asia became the first Shocker to win All-Conference preseason first-team honors as a member of the American Athletic Conference. League coaches voted Strong for the first team after they averaged 15.2 points and 6.6 rebounds per game a season ago. Strong was one of six players on the first team, joined by three from South Florida, one from UCF and preseason player of the year Mia Davis of Temple.
A SHOCKING WIN WOULD …
… make them 7-1 over the season
… be the best start in the history of the program through 8 games
… be their fourth consecutive victory
… improve their record to 5-0 at home this season
… make it 10-12 all-time against Oral Roberts
… to bring Keitha adams‘record at 55-63 at Wichita State
… do Adams 339-272 at Division I level
… bring Adams’ career record as a coach to 466-309
… do 382-42 of all time in the Charles Koch Arena
… do Wichita State 625-711 of all time
A LOSS OF SHOCK WOULD …
… make it 6-2 this season
… break a three-game winning streak
… drop them to 4-1 at home this season
… make it 9-13 of all time against Oral Roberts
… be their second consecutive defeat against ORU
… to bring Keitha adams‘record at 54-64 at Wichita State
… do Adams 338-273 at Division I level
… lower Adams’ career coaching record to 465-310
… set their record at 381-243 in the Charles Koch Arena
… do Wichita State 624-712 of all time
Wichita State is back on the road for a clash in South Dakota on Saturday, December 4 at 1 p.m.